Quick typing used to be reserved for those in clerical careers, but nowadays, most of us work on a computer and could benefit from strong typing skills. Making an effort to improve typing speed streamlines most office tasks beyond word processing, like email and data entry. If you would like to learn how to type faster in Woodward, OK, here are five typing tips you can master now:
- Set up a good workspace: One factor in quick typing is an ergonomic workspace that encourages good posture. This space should allow you to keep your spine straight and your shoulders relaxed, yet still allow you to reach the keyboard. Wrists should rest on a special wrist rest on your keyboard, rather than on your desk. Your elbows should be at your side and your feet flat on the floor. Adjust your desk to reach these goals, and choose a comfortable chair.
- Find your optimal keyboard: A standard keyboard is common, and once you get used to key positioning, it is likely all you need. However, these are not considered ergonomic, and many people develop repetitive stress injuries when they use them for long hours each day. Instead, consider an ergonomic keyboard. A divided one is divided in two parts at a 45-degree angle, which works better with the natural alignment of your arms. While you may find this keyboard frustrating at first, once you get used to it, you will likely never want to go back!
- Learn the basic technique: There is a proven method to the madness known as typing. Touch typing is the most efficient because you do not have to look at the keyboard while typing. The best way to learn touch typing is to set your hands on the homebase, which is the ASDF JKL: row. There are ridges on the A and J keys to help with placement. From there, use an online tutor tool like KAZ or Typsey to learn the 10-finger method. These basics will get you much further with typing speed than a two-finger approach.
- Be patient: You will not increase your typing speed from 35 to 85 words per minute overnight. This will take time and practice. Set small goals and meet them. From there, increase WPM goals again. Soon, you will gain typing speed and notice the benefits of it. Typing apps and software that help you learn technique will also track your progress. Also, if practice leaves you tired, take breaks. If you eat something or take a walk, you will return to your efforts refreshed.
- Use your features: Autocorrect and predictive text can increase the speed with which you finish emails and documents. You just need to keep an eye on it for accuracy, and that’s one good reason to learn touch typing. If you use Microsoft Word, you can also program easily-typed shortcuts for frequently-used words or phrases.
Devine’s Office Supplies offers ergonomic office furniture that can help your staff improve typing speed and enhance efficiency in Woodward, OK. Visit us today and see what we offer to support following these effective typing tips.
Categorised in: Office Supplies