Offices do not look the way they used to. The old days of wood paneling, fluorescent lighting and carpeting are long gone. Today’s spaces focus on encouraging collaboration, bringing in lots of natural light and using minimalist décor whenever possible.
What is the reason for this change in workplace design trends? Can the design of a workplace really influence the level of success a business achieves? There have been a lot of studies into these issues, and experts agree that yes, workplace design can make a difference. We’ve certainly come to believe this at our office furniture store in Woodward, OK. Here’s why it’s so important.
Why great design is beneficial
According to one study, approximately 85 percent of employees surveyed say visitors and clients will make judgments of a company based on the design and appearance of its workplace. In addition, 79 percent of respondents said a well-designed workplace will be a factor in making them more likely to want a position.
Here are a few specific ways in which the design of your office space can benefit your business:
- Improved company culture: An office design that keeps people feeling satisfied, encouraged, motivated and stress-free will create a much more positive company culture. This is why natural light, ventilation and higher-quality furniture have all become more common. The focus is on keeping people comfortable and relaxed, which will in turn make them happier and improve the culture of the business.
- Better employee retention: Obviously there are plenty of factors that go into employee satisfaction beyond just the design of the office, but there are studies that have indicated a strong correlation between workplace satisfaction and engagement. Employees who have more control over their physical workspace and greater access to a variety of quiet or collaborative workspaces are more likely to be satisfied and less likely to take sick days.
- Improved attendance: As we just alluded to, well-designed office spaces can reduce absenteeism. This is a big deal for companies, as absenteeism results in about $225 billion in losses for American employers every year. If you can find ways to make your employees feel empowered and want to come to work because they actually enjoy their working environment, this can make for a more efficient and profitable operation.
- Improved health: Well-designed workspaces can help improve employee health, both physically and mentally. Ergonomic furniture, for example, gives people the support they need, especially in an environment where they’ll be doing a lot of sitting. Community areas and quiet workspaces are important for creating a happier and more productive office.
- Improved overall efficiency: An office that is smartly designed will not just make employees happier, but it will also make them more efficient. The right placement of workspaces, meeting rooms, collaboration areas and common areas is key to creating a more efficient working environment.
These are just several examples of how good office design can make for a more successful business. Contact our office furniture store in Woodward, OK today to learn more about how we can help you outfit your office.
Categorised in: Office Furniture